About us SW Radio Africa is an independent Zimbabwean radio station run by Zimbabweans, for Zimbabweans. We broadcast on shortwave into Zimbabwe, and via the
internet to the Diaspora. Our broadcasts are also available as MP3 podcast downloads.
Why we do it
In 2000 we challenged the Zimbabwe government’s broadcasting monopoly in the Supreme Court, and won the right to open the country’s first independent radio station. But this was forcibly closed after just 6 days of test broadcasts and the government enacted broadcasting legislation which has made it impossible to open an independent radio station to this day.
SW Radio Africa aims
* To provide professional, reliable, unbiased news and analysis.
* Provide a forum for all political views and opinions.
* Promote democracy and freedom of speech.
* Stimulate public debate, give a voice to our listeners and provide a forum for them to freely express their views and opinions.
* Provide voter education and promote human rights.
* To provide comprehensive coverage and analysis of current affairs and social issues, especially HIV and health.
* Uplift Zimbabweans and give them hope and a belief in the possibility of peaceful change.
* Support civil society and other independent media outlets that help support the development of democracy in Zimbabwe.
SW Radio Africa is dedicated to the development of a free and independent media in Zimbabwe, and aims to participate fully in its development.